Memoirs of Life in South Africa

English 162: Literature and Place (A Queens College Study Abroad Course)

Memoirs of Life in South Africa header image

Cape Town Experience

January 14th, 2012 by raquelabraham · 3 Comments · Uncategorized

Cape Town Experience

Coming to South Africa,I was open to experience many things I’ve never did before. But never did I think I would experience climbing a mountain! Being the timid person that I am, I never thought I would attempt such a thing. I climbed a mountain and till this day, I can’t believe it. Although the name of this attraction was called a hill, Signal Hill, in my eyes it was a mountain. Nothing about it was a hill, I walk up hills all the time and this was clearly not one. The paths were steep, the view was sick, and this “hill” was just simply dangerous. I once thought i was scared of heights but evidently not lol. I climbed that hill with so much fear inside of me, that anyone would be able to see my heart beat through my chest.

During the time of climbing this “hill” i tried my hardest to not look down. But the view was so beautiful I couldn’t help but glance a few times. and every time I would glance at the view below, I would ask myself ” what are doing Raquel?” ” why are you doing this?” what the hell are you thinking?! There were also several moments were I even thought about staying behind while the others, of whom I was with, climbed to the top and back. The more I climbed the more I experienced anxiety. I was terrified. My heart was pounding uncontrollably, and at this point I just wanted to reach the top. I was so scared. I don’t think I’ve ever been this afraid in my life. I didnt know what else to do, and so I began to pray, this, along with the help of my fellow classmates helped me accomplish this great task. And I’m so grateful.

Once my classmates and I reached the top of the “hill” we were so relieved, guess the  awesome sight was worth the anxiety after all. We felt like we were on top of the world. It was such a beautiful sight, a sight that words can’t explain. We stayed at the top of the hill for about twenty minutes taking pictures, and reminiscing on what we just accomplished. We were estatic. But utlimate question still remained. “how the hell we are going to get back down?!” We took in all of that we have seen and geared up to head back down.

Taking that first step down towards the bottom, I shook my head to myself and said a prayer once again. Although I thought going down would be more difficult than climbing up, in all honesty it was much easier. We stuck together and we completed the task. We climbed Signal Hill. And I was extremely so proud of myself, it was the most adventurous thing I ever done and I have my  fellow mates, God and this awesome trip to South Africa to thank.

Tags:

3 Comments so far ↓

• Talisa Feliciano

I’m sort of sad that I decided not to go with you guys. The experience sounds amazing. I’m glad that you were able to overcome your fear. I know with my experience here that the higher you climb the more you are rewarded with the aesthetic beauty of Cape Town.

• Jason Tougaw

Fanatastic. Good for you. You can really see your joy in that photo. Love it.

• Merzela

That truly seems like an amazing adventure. Unfortunately I turned down the offer to climb the mountain with you guys that day. Cape Town is such a beautiful place and telling from your pictures, it looks even more beautiful higher up. I’m so glad you got to overcome your fear and be rewarded not only with a beautiful view, but a wonderful experience. We’re off to the safari tomorrow so more adventures await us here. I’m so looking forward to it!